The historic Decatur union passenger depot was built by the Southern Railway in 1905 and is a symbol of the city’s rich railroad heritage which extends back to the 1830s when the first railroad west of the Allegheny Mountains, the Tuscumbia, Courtland and Decatur was built. A union depot was the result of the joint use of the depot by two railroads, the Southern and the Louisville & Nashville railroads.
The complete restoration of the union depot in 2015 and early 2016 sensitively preserved most of the original architectural elements of the building, including high ceilings, original doors, windows, wainscoting and door and window facings, and original brick and plaster walls. The building is shared with the Decatur Police Department.
Old Decatur Depot
Call for Hours
- Get Directions
- 701 Railroad St NWDecatur, AL 35601
- 34 Reviews
Located approximately 2.4 miles from Historic Railroad Depot.
Five generations of pitmasters & over 90 years of barbecuing, they’ve earned 15 World BBQ Championships (Pork, Brisket, Ribs, Chicken) and 5 Memphis in May World BBQ Grand Championships.
Stay up-to-date with all Decatur and Morgan County have to offer.