Decatur looks upward each Memorial Day Weekend as balloon lovers from around the world gather for this FREE festival. Enjoy a sunrise breakfast among 60 hot-air balloons as they inflate and launch at the Alabama Jubilee Hot-Air Balloon and Music Festival. After a day of enjoying North Alabama, bring your camera to the “Balloon Glow” as the balloons light up the night sky! The following morning, cheer for the balloonists as they compete to win a new car.
- Start your morning early with the help of a cup of hot coffee at the hotel.
- Arrive at Point Mallard Park at 6:30 a.m. to watch as the hot-air balloons take to the air for the Hound and Hare Race.
- Spend your morning listening to regional artists on the live entertainment stage and don’t forget to check out the antique tractors and automobiles.
- Sample tasty treats from the festival’s many food vendors.
- Spend the afternoon cooling off in the waves of America’s First Wave Pool at the nearby J. Gilmber Blackburn Aquatic Center.
- Taste some of the South’s finest barbecue at the famed Big Bob Gibson restaurant, located at 1715 6th Ave SE.
- Return to the hotel to get plenty of sleep for an early morning on Sunday.
- Travel to Point Mallard Park and arrive at 6:30 a.m. for the Key Grab Race, as hot-air balloon pilots compete for a new car.
- Practice your golfing skills at Point Mallard’s Strike Zone Driving Range before playing a round of golf at the park’s championship golf course.
- For lunch, relax at the Mallard Grill, located on the golf course at Point Mallard Park. Fill your plate with Southern “comfort” food and keep your glass filled with sweet tea.
- Return to the Alabama Jubilee Hot-Air Balloon and Music Festival to browse through the arts and craft fair and listen to live music.
- As the sun goes down, make sure you have your camera ready as the balloons light-up the evening sky during the Balloon Glow event.
- Find a great spot to view the Fireworks Extravaganza.
- Leave Decatur for home and make plans to visit again soon!
Stay up-to-date with all Decatur and Morgan County have to offer.